There was nothing gentle about International Federation of Bodybuilding and Fitness’ (IFBB) annual Gentle Giant Classic event as a bevvy of intimidatingly masculine athletes gathered to show off their stuff in Sunward Park on October 27.
The event made history on the day, being the largest cash pay-out meeting of any fitness competition ever held in the country.
The Gentle Giant Classic is a sister event to the famous Arnold Classic Africa competition which is scheduled to be held at the Sandton Convention Centre next year between May 17 and 19.
Not all was lost for the athletes who lost out on podium finishes as all who competed in Sunward Park qualified for the Arnold Classic.
There were some athletes who clearly dominated their line-up with physiques resembling perfection, like Carlo Cantalupo, who was head and shoulders above the rest in the senior classic bodybuilding u180cm.
Physical symmetry was again top of the judges’ list along with muscle definition with the likes of senior classic bodybuilding over 180cm champion Ziyaad Martin, pipping Yaseen Davids, who boasted the biggest and prettiest arms in the line-up.
Elsewhere, Leiere Falck won in a very competitive ladies beach bikini junior u-23 line-up.
In the big boys league, Hector Thelco was crowned champion in the six-man senior men’s bodybuilding over 100kg class.
Full list of results (top three per category):
- Junior u-23 under 75kg: Nhlanhla Phakathi, Oscar Monyamane
- Junior u-23 over 75kg: James Shongwe, Erik van Heerden, Sandile Nkosi
- Men’s athletic physique junior: David Tshose, Ayrton de Freitas, Ephias Mkutchwa
- Athletic physique u 176cm: David Tshose, Boaventura Macuacua, Ivanison Abilio
- Athletic physique u 179cm: Clive Brent, Adriano Nadja, Hernani Tsinine
- Athletic physique o 179cm: Ruben Fernando Howana, Khulekani Mkhize, Francois Chapman
- Athletic physique masters: Christopher Monde, Quinton Bridger, Coert Wiechers
- Senior classic Body Building u 175cm: France Moseki, Silvino Ouana, Kamal Malaka
- Senior classic BB u 180cm: Carlo Cantalupo, Lyle Singh, Anton van der Riet
- Senior classic BB o 180cm: Ziyaad Martin, Yaseen Davids, Cliff Bezuidenhout
- Ladies beach bikini junior u-23: Leiere Falck, Anja van Niekerk, Sinead Kotze
- Ladies beach bikini u 163cm: Anesca Gouws, Svet-Roann Loubser, Cheryldene Jonck
- Ladies beach bikini o 163cm: Leiere Falck, Michelle Moore, Aliza Greyling
- Masters o 40 u 80kg: Terrence Pillay, Niketan Chopde, Eddie Muller
- Masters o 40 o 80kg: Dumisani Jali, Brandon de Sasa, Stef Marais
- Classic physique u 180cm: Robespeare Remy Bopda, Ahmed Naeih, Sifiso Mtande
- Classic physique o 180cm: Ziyaad Martin, Juan Matthee, Frits Veldman
- Women’s wellness fitness: Nombulelo Hlathi, Chené de Vos, Annelize Dohne
- Body fitness u 168cm: Gladys Tladi, Cindy Dredge, Sophia Potgieter
- Body fitness o 168cm: Rina Campbell, Candice Pearson, Tanya Roskilly
- Muscular men’s physique: Nhlanhla Vilakazi, Eclesiaste Gabriel, Zane van den Berg
- Women’s physique: Annamarie Barnard, Amanda Strydom, Kaycee Mbambo
- Bikini fitness u 166cm: Jamie-Lee Glazer, Savannah Prenzler, Kristen van der Lingen
- Bikini fitness u 172cm: Melissa Clark, Karien van der Wal, Izette Strydom
- Bikini fitness o 172cm: Cassandra de Jager, Sonette Zeelie, Rowanne Morris
- Bikini fitness o 35years: Karien van der Wal, Izette Strydom, Sonette Zeelie
- Senior men’s BB u 70kg: Philani Gabela, Modiakgotla Mokubung, Cyril Mbili
- Senior men’s BB u 80kg: Alain Nji, Alexandre Moamba, Mfanufikile Khoza
- Senior men’s BB u 90kg: Michael Adonis, Clayton Gordon, Dumisani Jali
- Senior men’s BB u 100kg: Ziad Adou Mekdachi, Wanda Khuzwayo, David Joubert
- Senior men’s BB o 100kg: Hector Godfrey Thelco, Emmanuel Bukhosini, Shanti Mitchell
- Mixed couples: Niketan Chopde, Marissa Erasmus and Romano Botes, Terrence Pillay and Laura de Vos