Child-poisoner to be locked away

Det Sgt Calvin Mphaphuli said he takes his duties very seriously and works diligently to make sure that justice is served.

Sunday Nkosi broke into his former girlfriend’s shack in the informal settlement on Sunday, September 2015, and found the child, who was on her own, asleep.

He then put poison in the family’s food with the intention of killing the family.

He also stole some of the mother’s belongings before leaving the property.

The child, Thulani Ntombela, woke up hungry and unknowingly ate the poisoned food.

She fell sick and died hours later.

The investigating officer, Det Sgt Calvin Mphaphuli, conducted an investigation and subsequently arrested the father.

Nkosi made his first court appearance on Tuesday, September 15, 2015, when he was denied bail and he remained in custody.

Following the almost two-year-long criminal trial at the Johannesburg High Court, the accused was eventually found guilty of murder, attempted murder, house break-in and theft.

The high court judge handed down the sentences on May 2.

The sentences will run concurrently, bringing the number of years in jail to almost 20 years, including the time the accused has already spent behind bars.

The Boksburg police have applauded Mphaphuli for ensuring that justice was served.

“As the police, our mission is always to make sure that justice is served. We have a duty to the public, the crime victims’ families in particular, to make sure that criminals are brought to book and convicted for their criminal behaviour.”

  • Mphaphuli has also secured a successful conviction in the murder of an Angelo informal settlement man who died after he was assaulted with a bottle in the area.

On March 18, 2015, Bafana Nhleko hit the victim with an empty bottle following an argument over the ownership of a shack in the informal settlement.

The victim subsequently died of his injuries.

Mphaphuli was assigned to the case and on May 21, 2015, and managed to arrest Nhleko.

In his investigation, Mphaphuli said he made sure that no stone is left unturned, and Nhleko was eventually found guilty of culpable homicide.

He was sentenced to six years imprisonment or a R14 400 fine and a further three years imprisonment wholly suspended for five years on condition that he doesn’t commit another crime.

Fanie Mthupha

Latest News