Metro urges business to adhere to public health by-laws

According to Themba Gadebe, metro spokesperson, these include hair dressers, beauty salons, child care services, accommodation establishments such as guesthouses, B&B’s etc as well as offensive trades such as panel beaters, scrap yards and spray painters.

“Permits are also required for kennels, catteries and the keeping of poultry,” said Gadebe.

“Furthermore, all food premises must be in possession of a Certificate of Acceptability (COA) which should be clearly displayed for the public according to Regulation R 962 (replacing R918) – Regulations Governing General Hygiene Requirements for Food Premises and the Transport of Food – (23 November 2012), promulgated under the Foodstuffs, Cosmetics and Disinfectants Act, 1972 (Act no 54 of 1972).

“There are currently no costs involved with the issuing of such certificates. Food premises should contact their local Environmental Health Practitioner to arrange for an inspection in loco in order to issue a COA.”

He said an application may be obtained from the  Environmental Health Services offices:

  • City House Building, corner of Margaret and Long Street, Kempton Park

Contact person: Laurina Vollaard, 011 999 3982

  • Vosloorus Environmental Health Office, 1934 Berman Road Vosloorus Ext 29

Contact person: Terrence Munyai, 011 999 5371

  • Boksburg Environmental Health Offices, Krynauw Street, Boksburg North

Contact person(s): Phillip Campher/ Khensani Maluleke, 011 999 5244, 011 999 5407

  • Benoni/Daveyton/Etwatwa- [Estelle Nienaber]

Kemston Clinic, 98 Kemston Avenue, Benoni

Contact person: Anna Mabukela, 011 999 6453


For more information and permit requirements, the Public Health By Laws are available on or affected people may call on (011) 999 3982/3970.

“Services and businesses are urged to contact the Environmental Health offices as soon as possible so that permits and certificates may be issued.

“Any person operating a service or business without said permit may be liable for a fine of up to R2000. However, note must be taken that such permits get to be issued once the premises are found to be compliant with relevant legislations.”




Latest News