What to know about school admissions and immunisations

One document needed by the Department of Education is an up-to-date immunisation card.

Although some parents have chosen not to immunise their children, the department said it is advisable that all children receive their scheduled immunisations as stipulated by the Department of Health.

“This is also in the interest of public health to prevent the spread and becoming infected with communicable diseases such as measles,” said Oupa Bodibe, acting spokesperson for the Gauteng Department of Education (GDE).

He said that children may become infected or spread communicable diseases which could result in serious illness and possible death.

“The GDE supports that all children should receive their scheduled immunisations as stipulated by the Department of Health as it in the child’s best interest and that of the public health,” he added.

He said that parents or caregivers may refuse that their child be vaccinated but they should be informed of the consequences if a child is not immunised and therefore be strongly advised to immunise the child as soon as possible.

With this said, Bodibe added that a school cannot refuse admission based on the parents’ choice not to immunise.

Riaan Engelbrecht

find your
dream home

looking for an

List your Property

It's easy in only three
simple steps...

find professional
services in
your area

Locate a business
operating in
your area

List your Business

Want more customers? They're online right now, searching for businesses like yours. Place your ad now...

Latest News



Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our FREE newsletter
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.

SELECT your titles:

African Reporter
Benoni City Times
Boksburg Advertiser
Brakpan Herald
Germiston City News
Springs Advertiser

Your details:

Your friends:

I didn't sign up for this
I'd like to see and read more... (Please indicate in comments section below)
I'm relocating (Please indicate where to)